Sunday, December 10, 2023

Playing for the Love of the Game, And Knick-Knacks

 Mesa, AZ


Atomic Age Modern Pinball Tournament

This evening Josh, Sophie, and I played in the Atomic Age Modern Pinball tournament.  This weeks tournament was really big at 47 players.  There were some Holiday Festivities going on in Downtown Mesa so I assume this brought a few more casual players in.  It was Sophie's first tournament and maybe her last.  There was quite a bit of waiting around for games to finish up before the next rounds could start and it was so crowded that you couldn't really play much between rounds.  

At the end of the 6th round there was a 5 way tie for first so we had a 5 way playoff.  The Playoffs were on 1 machine and there was a 4 player game and a 1 player game and the finishers finished in order of their score.

My first ball pretty much drained straight down and at the end of the first ball I was in dead last

My 2nd ball was kind of the same story.  By the end of the 2nd ball I was dead last but there was only 1 player running away with it.


For my 3rd ball, I knew I had to have a great one so, no pressure.  I told Sophie I knew what I had to do and I stepped up and had a great ball.  I took my score up to 7.7 million.  This put me in 2nd place with 2 players to play.  

The 4th player started his 3rd ball with 6 million.  He just had to play a little to pass me up.  He ended up having a terrible ball and ended with 6.8 million.  This left just one person to play their 1 player game.  I was in 2nd and the worst I could do was 3rd.  I was on the podium!  The 3rd player had 3 terrible balls and that sealed my 2nd place fate.  I was really happy with this.

Winners don't get money in this tournament, they get a Knick-Knack from the store.

I got a totem!

It's my highest finish and my first "Major Award"



A special thanks to Sophie for helping document this pinball milestone for me.

That's it for today, (well I came in 2nd out of 47 players so I guess That's all for today), if you missed Headhunters Hideaway, a Home Tiki Bar, check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment