Monday, December 11, 2023

Another Day, Another Pinball Trophy

 Mesa, AZ

Sophie wasn't there to take photos so I went back into the arcade and took a selfie with the trophy and the machine I won it on.

Tracy's Pintastic Birthday Bash

On Saturday I played in Tracy's Pintastic Birthday Bash which is an all day (and multi-day for some people) pinball tournament.  It happens once a year and luckily I was in town for this year's.  

The day started with a group photo and then we went over the rules.  I have been playing in a lot of tournaments here in the Valley of the Sun so I recognized quite a few participants.  I also saw the 2 people I shared the podium with last night.

The first part of the tournament was a 12 round Match Play formatted tournament.  I played 12 games with one other opponent.  Winner got a point and loser got no points.

For 12 rounds I went 6 and 6 which put me in the A (winners) group for the next round.


There were raffle prizes for the players that didn't win a trophy

A lot of trophies were given out today.  More on this later


Everyone stood in the sun and listened to the rules for the day.  They had you come outside after each of your games.  I found a nice shady place but I am sure some of these pasty pinball players got sunburns today which you wouldn't expect for a pinball tournament.

Locutus of Borg is there to greet you at the front door.

And so is Jason.




My last game during Match Play was on Heavy Metal, a machine I had never played on before.  My strategy for machines I don't know is to 1) Keep the Ball Alive 2) Hit lit shots.  I felt this game was a must win for me to make it into the A group.  My opponent asked if I was good at the machine and I said, I didn't know because I had never played it before.  I went on to have a great game and get a walk off win (I didn't need to play my 3rd ball because I had already won).  By the time I finished my game I had a score that was close to the Replay Score.

After a snack break we moved into the 2d part of the tournament.  Group A played 5 rounds of Max Matchplay (4 players to a game), and Group B had their own 5 rounds.  In Max Match Play winning has a premium because the scoring is 7 pts. for 1st, 5 pts for 2md, 3 pts, for 3rd and 1 measly pt. for 4th.  


I started out strong with a 2nd on Creature.  The first place player "blew it up" because he is one of the best (5th I think) players in the state.  I was the lowest seed in the group so getting 2nd was awesome.  My Ghostbusters game was demoralizing but luckily I had enough time to shake it off before my solid Avengers game.  You can see The Who's Tommy machine isn't blue in my list.  That means I have no good info on how to play it and I hadn't really ever played it so 4th is acceptable in this situation.  After my 4th place loss there I played it a few more times to practice and got much better scores.  

By this time I knew I wasn't making day 2 but if I had a strong finish on my last game I would walk away in a good spot and the winner of the last game of the day got a cool trophy.  I played 4th and my first ball was 1.4 billion which is a normal complete game for me.  I was in the lead by a ton and at least one of the players was a bit demoralized.  He said, "okay now I am ready to drain two balls and go home". I gave him a pep talk which may or may not have helped.  The rest of the game went very well for me and I didn't need to play my 3rd ball.  Another walk off!  And a walk off for a trophy!

The awards ceremony was fun.  I fell like I was the only one that got a trophy that the person running the tournament didn't know.  I ended up 28th out of 74.  My goal these days is trying to finish just above the middle of the field and my last few tournaments have been much better so maybe I should up my goal.


Not the Godzilla people think of when you say Godzilla Pinball Machine.

I caught Wonder Woman changing in Clark Kent's changing room.

Sweet Asteroids neon sign

I took a photo of my blow up walk off score on Attack from Mars for y'all to see.


That's it for today.  If things continue this way, we may need to buy a new bin for pinball trophies.  If you missed Playing for the Love of the Game and Knick-Knacks, check it out.  I won a different pinball trophy.

No comments:

Post a Comment