Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Dinner at The Majestic

 Kansas City, MO

Hamming it up with Gordon at The Green Lady Lounge

The Milwaukee Deli

Today our friend Gordon just happens to be in town.  He is on his way to Marceline, MO to visit Walt Disney's hometown and then going on to Hannibal, MO to ride the Mark Twain Riverboat with 2 of his friends.  We all met for brunch at The Milwaukee Deli.  Donna and I have been walking by the Deli a few times a week and we were wanting to eat there so it was great that it was on Gordon's list too.  

An original photo of The Milwaukee and Albert Ladzinsky (that’s him in the bowtie) smiling proudly in 1933 for the first beer delivery after the repeal of prohibition has arrived!



It was one of those meals where I didn't take many photos.  We just got caught up talking about travel and catching up since our last visit in LA.  I'm not sure if it is a regional thing but I ordered potato salad with my sandwich and German potato salad showed up.  I think that it would have been called German potato salad on the west coast.  It was delicious no matter what they call it.

After brunch Donna and I headed back to the Airbnb to hang with Francis while they went on to The Arabia Steamboat Museum.  You can read about it here.  

This afternoon I resolved to solve the camping problem I mention here.  We had a one night stay that didn't work out and had already booked the night before and the night after.  There were no valid campsites in the area and a 2nd night in Savannah didn't make sense due to the cost.  After a day or so of trying to think outside the box it came to me.  I moved our nights at Magnolia Springs State Park a day later and filled the missing campsite with Lumber River State Park in North Carolina.  It was a great solution to this camping puzzle we were dealing with.

Eureka!  We have a place to spend the night every night this year now!


Dinner at The Majestic

After an afternoon of lounging around and juggling camping reservations we were ready for dinner.  We were meeting Gordon and his group at The Majestic.  It's an oldish school steakhouse right up the street.  We met the group at the bar while we waited for our table.  We heard all about the Steamboat museum so it almost felt like we had been.  The meal was really great.  It was the best steak I have had in a long time.  My hot take in this post is that BBQ isn't really my jam.  This place is my jam when it comes to red meat.

The entrance

They had a nice whiskey selection

On Mondays they have a great piano player hammering out jazz.  Later another musician showed up to play along.



The Neon was shining brightly by the time we left.

The Green Lady Lounge

After dinner Gordon asked if we could get into The Green Lady.  All of the research I did on this day paid off.  We swung by the Airbnb to say Hi to Francis and then rode the KC Streetcar to The Crossroads and walked to The Green Lady Lounge.  It was the perfect amount of crowdedness.  We found a table to accommodate our group which was now 5 and had a drink and listened to the Jazz Trio that was playing.

I messed around with the night mode on my camera.  This is a photo of my Old Fashion.


I snapped this photo between sets

It was one those great days filled with friends and food.  So far on our trip we have been lucky enough to see friends in all of the places we have stayed.  This trend should continue in Baltimore as well.  We have 1 more week here to take everything in before our 2 week road trip to Baltimore.

On the walk home I took a two more photos.  Here they are.





If you missed yesterday's Art Deco experience you can see it here.


No comments:

Post a Comment