Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Caesar's Palace But in Calgary

 Calgary, AB

Me, My Grappa, and My Very Nice Server

Great Alberta Steak in Calgary

Today it was raining so we took a Lyft to downtown Calgary.  We were planning on walking but we didn't want to be soaking wet for our fancy steakhouse dinner.  I found out about Caesar's Steakhouse by reading Reddit.  It's an old school, red leather, steakhouse founded in 1972 after Gus Giannoulis visited Caesar's Palace in Vegas and loved the look and feel.  He did a great job because I felt like I was in Caesar's Palace the moment I entered the steakhouse without knowing the backstory.  

The Reddit Thread said to make sure you get a seat near the Open Flame Grill so I asked for it in our reservation.


The entry area really felt like Caesar's Palace Vegas.


That's the open grill right there!

Our reservation was at 5pm on a Monday and it was packed by the time we left.


Donna started with an Aviation Cocktail.  The cocktails in Canada tend to be a lot smaller than cocktails in The US, which is good.

Dinner started with our waiter making us Steak Tartare tableside. 

It was fantastic!

Then a different server fixed us Caesar's Salad tableside.  Caesar's Salad wasn't invented here but they do a great job making it.

The server asked if he could take our photo for us so we obliged.  The service here is so fantastic.

The guy cooking our steaks posed for me!

I had one of their famous barrel aged Manhattans.  It was fantastic as well.


As the evening progressed the queue for the steaks got longer and the meat started piling up.

For dessert, Donna ordered a flight of old Tawny Port.  The one she is pointing to is older than me!  It was a 1970 Single Harvest.  The other two were 20 and 30 years old.  They were all fantastic.

The last course was Cherries Jubilee.  Donna caught the perfect moment for the photo.

The Cherries Jubilee went great with my Grappa from Nanaimo, BC on Vancouver Island.



Donna carries our leftovers.  We will have steak for the next few meals.

It was a fantastic Dinner.  Probably one of the most fun dining experiences I have ever had.  The service was great and really fun, and the food was delicious.  Also, where else can you get Port Wine that's older than me?  It was a pricy evening, but totally worth it.  

That's it for today.  If you missed, Victoria -> Calgary Along the Trans Canada Highway, check it out.  We drove about 600 miles across parts of Canada and saw some great stuff.




No comments:

Post a Comment