Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Prime Rib and Ponies at Assiniboia Downs

 Winnipeg, MB

We're off to the races!  

The Prime Rib Special

Tonight we went to Assiniboia (not sure how to pronounce this) Downs for the Prime Rib Special and Horse Racing.  They race on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesdays and have a Prime Rib buffet.  We made reservations and got seats up near the front of the room so we could see all of the action.  The waitstaff was great and they had a bet runner that was fantastic.  He really made people feel at ease even if they didn't know what they were doing like me.  


We got there well before the first race so the place was pretty empty except for the restaurant which was hopping.






They blew up the bounce houses just in time for the kids to start lining up.  It was free to get in so families were having a great time.


This ad brought to you by the horse racing lobby.

They also had an off track betting sports book.

The prime rib dinner was VERY popular.

We were provided a free program and tip sheet with the purchase of our meal.

We ordered some liquid courage and did our homework.  

We put $2 CAD on horse #2 to win.  It didn't win and after finding the tip sheet we found out that it was the long shot of the night.  I guess we used the wrong book for our homework.

I consoled myself with a big slab of prime rib.

I took this shot in anticipation of winning race #1.  I was going to say that with that win all of our other bets are gravy.  Turns out that drop of gravy was worth more than all of our bets combined.


I spent my losings on another beer.

Race 2 got Donna out of her seat.  Actually I think she was looking at birds in the infield.

I waited until everyone had gotten their prime rib before I took this photo.

The races continued as the sun set.

In the 4th race we bet a long shot to show.  It showed last.  We will now have a running joke that includes "Better chances than horse #3 in the 4th". 

Earlier in the day I was texting with my one friend that knows Horse Racing and he was familiar with Assiniboia Downs.  He joked that we should take a careful look at the prime rib dinner fine print because horses that don't win at Assiniboia have a short career in racing.  I thought that was pretty funny and Horse #3 in the 4th might just be on the plate next week.

It was super fun and a really different experience for us.  We took home the above pencil because we figured we paid $8 for it.  If you missed The Corn and Apple Festival, check it out.  We got free corn!

No comments:

Post a Comment