Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Free Pinball and Expensive Beer

 Chicago, IL

Not me, clearly

Chores Before Fun

Today was set aside for getting a package delivered.  We are switching to Google Fi.  Google Fi offers an unlimited data plan that works in Canada for about the same price as we are paying for limited data with Verizon.  The change needs new sim cards so we had to have them shipped to us.  We are staying on a very busy street with no place to hide a package so we planning on getting to it as soon as it arrived.  I checked tracking when I woke up at about 7 and it said the address was insufficient and it was being returned to sender.  I called the local post office here as soon as it opened and talked to them and they verified that they had it and set it aside for me to pick up.  Tracking Numbers For The Win!  The rest of the morning was picking up the package and setting up Google Fi.  I also took the opportunity to close an old bank account we weren't using anymore.

USPS and NASCAR, together at last.

 Pinball!

It's been like 2 days since I have played pinball so I thought it was time to get flipping.  I found a new to me place kind of downtown that has some of the latest machines set on free play with the expectation that you spend money at the bar.  I took transit to Headquarters Beercade and arrived at opening, 4pm.  It was a huge place with really cool décor and a ton of games.  I opened a tab, bought an expensive beer, and set up at the Godzilla Machine.  I have been watching videos and wanted to test out my new knowledge.  It takes a while for the knowledge from your head to get to your hands but with enough free games I crushed my Godzilla high score and accomplished some things I wanted to accomplish.  I also played The Mandalorian, James Bond 007, Rush, Iron Maiden, and Foo Fighters.  All of these machines are by Stern and were kept in great condition.  I ended up playing for about 4 hours.  

The Entrance.  It was a rainy day, prefect for pinball.


I didn't have a place to set my beer for the photo.

Pretty cool hu?



This is my Monster Score (pun intended) on Godzilla.  It's good enough for 23rd on their all time leaderboard.


The L at dusk.


I played 39 games of pinball for fee.  That would have cost $26 at Logan Arcade.

My 23rd place score.  I gotta get a billion now!

That's it for today.  If you missed Hanging With the Hipsters, check it out.


No comments:

Post a Comment