Wednesday, December 21, 2022

A Trip to NOMA

 New Orleans, LA

The Obligatory Museum Selfie

New Orleans Museum of Art

Today we headed to City Park and went to the New Orleans Museum of Art.  We were able to use our NARM pass so it was free to us.  When we got there we were welcomed as members.  The museum is pretty cool.  I think it is the perfect size.  They have some local art as well as some big named artists.  We spent a couple of hours there and didn't see everything so if you go and want to see everything set aside half a day.

We saw another Soundsuite by Nick Cave and it was front as center.  We have seen work in multiple states now.

One of the temporary exhibits is Called to the Camera: Black American Studio Photographers.

The exhibit showcased one of a kind photos as well as more modern photos all done by Black American Studio Photographers.  This is a great image of Frederick Douglas.



I really liked this one.

And an image of a Black Indian from a New Orleans

The Café

After a bit we stopped by the café for a coffee and snack.  We really love museum cafes.  They offer great coffee in an eclectic space.


They had a wall of cool housewares.  Sadly my camera freaked out at the lighting thus the banding.




That's Some Fine Art

After coffee and a pastry we dove into more art.  I was a little surprised that NOMA had some big names.  I admit I like seeing them as well as the lesser known artists.

My Back Yard - Georgia O'Keeffe

Abstraction - Will Henry Stevens

Composition (White, Black, Blue and Red, on White) - Jackson Pollock

Portrait of a Young Girl - Joan Miro'

Woman in an Armchair - Pablo Picasso

La Somme d'Une Fleur - Matta


The Red Disk - Joan Miro'

Scramble: Ascending Yellow Values, Descending Spectrum - Frank Stella (Donna's Favorite Artist)

Mick Jagger - Andy Warhol

Portrait of Estelle Musson Degas - Edgar Degas

House on the Old Bridge at Vernon - Claude "Money" Monet

In the Garden, Giverny - Frederick C. Frieseke

Louise Bourgeois

The next temporary installment featured Louise Bourgeois.  I was not familiar with her but her work was amazing in my opinion.  I will be looking out for her more as we go to more museums.

Untitled 1946-47

The Frightening Vigil

1932

Meeting the Artist

We wandered through modern local art and Donna got into a conversation with someone.  I didn't think much of it so I continued my journey.  I returned about 5 minutes later and Donna and this man were locked in conversation about a mixed media piece.  He was going into really great detail and then revealed that he was the artists and it was his first piece in the museum.  It was really cool to see how happy he was to share with us.  It seemed like he was just quietly waiting for an ear to bend and Donna was there to be the person.  

He explained that Maman Brigette or Mother Brigette is a Voodoo Death Loa.  He went into great detail about the process of making it.

Maman Brigitte Maman's Day - John Lister, III

I love this photo and was so glad I was there to capture it.

I also took a few photos of the space in general.  It is a great museum with great views around every corner.  







That's it for today.  If you missed the previous post you can find it here.


No comments:

Post a Comment