Thursday, October 27, 2022

National Bohemia or Natty Boh, the "Official" Beer of Baltimore

  Somewhere Between Baltimore, MD and Baton Rouge, LA

My Natty Boh and my Latino Bro!

Natty Boh!

The "Official" beer of Baltimore is National Bohemia, or at least it was.  The beer was introduced in 1885 by The National Brewing Company.  In 1953 the St. Louis Browns baseball team moved to Baltimore and became the Baltimore Orioles.  National Bohemia became the official beer of the stadium at that time and quickly gained popularity.  I first learned of Natty Boh while watching Homicide: Life in the Street.  The cast would walk into a bar and order a Natty Boh.  

A really bad image off the internet of John Waters tending bar on Homicide: Life on the Street.

Now National Bohemia is brewed by The Pabst Brewing Co. and isn't even brewed in Baltimore.  It's the same thing with Rainer Beer, started in Seattle, became a Seattle institution and is now owned by Pabst and brewed elsewhere.  I guess we can all take comfort in the fact that Anchor Steam is still the official beer of San Francisco and still brewed in San Francisco.

This blog post started when I was looking up facts about Baltimore and found a site that claimed that National Bohemia invented the 6 pack.  It seemed like a really cool fact but I wouldn't go as far as to say they invented it.  I will say that in the 1940s National Bohemia began selling 6 cans at a time because 4 wasn't enough and 8 was too many and that this might have been the first example of a 6 pack being sold in the US.  

That's my fun history post for today.  More might be coming, I don't know for sure.  I can tell you we will be in Baton Rouge November 6th with fresh new content!



No comments:

Post a Comment